Saturday, June 4, 2011

May 30, 2011 Trip

What a day! Hard to believe June is just 2 days away. Snowy and cold in the Park. The road to Lamar Valley was blocked by a rock slide earlier in the week so I headed down the west side to Norris Junction, then headed east to Canyon. Had lunch at Canyon, warm potato soup and it was great, perfect for a cold snowy day. Snow this time of year is light so no problems what so ever on the roads. So far no animals to speak of, they must be snuggled up somewhere keeping out of the cold. I headed south to Yellowstone Lake then east to the Cody entrance. This road is still closed due to an avalanche 3 weeks ago that left 25' of snow on the road! However, I thought I would see how far I could get. I am glad I did! Grizzlies! Here is the first bear I saw....

This one didn't hang around long, he headed down the other side of the hill. However, just 100 yards down the road were 2 grizzlies munching on grass. The snow and wind really started to blow just as I got there...

 However the snow came in spurts so I was able to get this one....

It was snowing sideways and getting heavier so I headed back. The Hayden Valley was dry, at least it wasn't snowing. Found this coyote, he had fallen through the snow and was just standing there with snow up to his neck and he was resting his head on the top of the snow. Almost looked like he was saying "I am so tired of this snow! Where is spring?" He got out of the snow and started hunting through the sage......
A little further into Hayden Valley there were lots of ducks, there are quite a few different water birds in Hayden Valley, so I just had to snap a photo....






I am not sure what kind these guys are but I just love their blue bills!

That was it for the day. I headed home to get warmed up. It's important to remember it can snow any day of the year in Yellowstone National Park so always come prepared for any type of weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment